Updated on March 22, 2021
Eyelid Scarring Repair
Scarring of the eyelid can result in the inability of the eye to blink or close properly which then leads to eye dryness causing discomfort or pain. It is also cosmetically unacceptable making the person self-conscious and lose self-confidence.
Causes of eyelid scarring include
- Eyelid injury (through sports, accidents or assaults)
- Poor outcome from previous surgery
Treatment involves surgical correction which can be performed by an ophthalmologist or cosmetic surgeon specialising in the field of oculo-plastic surgery and eyelid reconstruction. Do discuss the treatment options with your doctor because each case is unique and depends on the extent of the scarring.
Post Operative Care
- Immediately after the surgery, there may be some swelling, redness or bruising which should resolve with time.
- Avoid contact with dirty water such as swimming or make up for the first 3-6 weeks after surgery.
- Avoid shellfish or nuts (if you have allergy to them)
- You may wash your face and shower 24 hours after your surgery
- You may need to apply eye ointment or medication (if prescribed by your doctor) during the healing period.
- You may need stitches removal 5-7 days after your surgery at your next follow-up consultation
- See your doctor asap if there is sudden pain or intense swelling around the eyelids
Click to download TELEME mobile app to chat with a cosmetic & aesthetic or eye doctor to discuss the treatment options available for you
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.