Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Platelets are cells in your blood which play an integral role in blood clotting blood and tissue regeneration because they are rich in growth factors. Platelet Rich Plasma (known as PRP) contain plasma that has up to 10 times more platelets than normal blood. PRP helps with the healing process around tissue or blood vessel damage by increasing blood flow to the affected area and promoting regeneration.
Click to watch SSCDublin video on PRP
How is PRP prepared?
For PRP therapy, you need to provide a blood sample, which then goes through a process to separate and concentrate the platelets from the other cells. The PRP is then carefully extracted and prepared for your treatment.
Conditions which may benefit from PRP treatment
PRP has to be injected precisely at the site of injury or at areas which require healing and regeneration. These include
Injured or damage joint cartilage (such as knee , shoulder, elbow or wrist)
- Ligament injury
- Skin scars (such as acne scars or skin pits)
- Facial skin rejuvenation
- Alopecia (hair loss)
Post Treatment Care
The full effects may take a few weeks to appear and may vary from person to person. You may need repeated treatments (between 3 to 6 sessions) to obtain the desired results
- Avoid washing the treatment area for up to 24 hours
- Avoid rubbing or scrubbing of the treatment areas because there may be some sweeping or bruising around the injection sites
- Avoid taking any Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen, Ponstan or Aspirin) for the first 2 weeks
- You may remove the dressing and shower the next day
- You can resume your normal activities the next day
- Consult your doctor about when you can resume sporting activities or actives under the sun
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.
If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention from your doctor or other professional healthcare providers. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?