Updated on June 9, 2020
Inattention or Hyperactive Issues in Adults: Understanding Symptoms
Inattention is the lack of focus when it is required during work or meetings. Inattention is a characteristic feature of attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Although ADHD starts in children, sometimes the condition may be missed or undiagnosed during childhood and only manifests during adulthood. Inattention can also be caused by external factors such as emotional stress, anxiety, conflict or anger and in medical conditions affecting cognitive functions such as Parkinson’s disease, stroke or dementia.
Click to view Kati Morton video on ADHD as an adult
According to the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5th edition (DSM-5), there are
three different presentations of ADHD.
1. Inattention symptoms
(you have Inattention Issues when you experience 6 or more symptoms of this category)
- Fails to pays attention to details and makes careless mistakes
- Has difficulty holding attention in hobbies or tasks (easily distracted)
- Does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
- Does not follow through on instructions or finish their work or tasks
- Has difficulty organising tasks and activities
- Dislikes or avoids activities which require sustained mental effort
- Will lose things necessary for the tasks or activities
- Easily distracted by stimuli
- Often forgetful in daily activities
2. Hyperactivity and Impulsivity
(you have Hyperactivity Issues when you experience 6 or more symptoms of this category)
- Fidget or tap hands or fingers or squirm in their seat
- Leave their seat several times unnecessarily
- Feels restless and needs to run out of a room or situation inappropriately
- Unable to play or participate in quiet leisure activities
- Feels need to be on the go all the time
- Talks excessively
- Blurt out answer before the question is completed or talk over others
- Difficulty waiting of his/her turn
- Often interrupts or intrudes on other people
3. Combines ADHD presentation
Sometimes, you may have a Combined adult ADHD presentation when you have both inattention (6 or more symptoms) and hyperactive/impulsivity (6 or more symptoms) features
How does Inattention or hyperactivity affect your daily life?
Adults with attention deficit have difficulty coping at work because they
- Do not feel fulfilled by their work
- More likely to abuse alcohol or smoke excessively
- Have eating disorders (https://blog.teleme.co/2020/02/16/how-to-deal-with-eating-disorders/)
- Struggle with anxiety or depression
- Struggle to hold down relationships
- Have difficulty to stay focussed at meetings
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.
If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention from your doctor or other professional healthcare providers. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?