How to understand your BMI score
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat (whether you are fat or thin) based on your height and weight. It allows health professionals to discuss weight problems more objectively with their patients.
How to measure your Body Mass Index (BMI)
So for example; for a 74 kg person who is 1.6m tall, the BMI is calculated as
Check your own BMI score now in 3 seconds!
What does your BMI mean
Your BMI classifies you into one of several categories namely from underweight to obese. High BMI is associated with higher risks of many diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, strokes and also cancer.
Click to view NHLBI video on Obesity
What should you do if you have an unhealthy BMI score
You need to make healthy choices to what and how you eat as well as how much you exercise. If you are overweight, start by taking small steps to lose weight through nutrition and exercise with the aim to lose 5-10% of your body weight as your first goal.
- Healthy diet by eating more vegetables, fruits, lean protein and whole grains.
- Aim for 30-60 minutes per day of physical activity
- Behavioural change may be required with the help of a lifestyle coach or counsellor
- Medication may be required as adjunct therapy to diet and exercise
- Bariatric surgery is an option for people with BMI higher than 35 associated with health conditions related to their weight
Discuss with your Doctor, Dietician or Nutritionist about Healthy Eating
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?