Updated on November 30, 2020
Causes of Stroke
Stroke is one of the top 5 causes of death and a major cause of disability. A stroke occurs when part of the brain cannot get blood (and oxygen) supply resulting in death of the brain cells causing loss of body function like speech, vision or muscle movement.
Causes of Stroke
- Atherosclerosis (60%)
- Bleeding or Haemorrhage Stroke (15%)
- Embolic Stroke (25%)
Click to view BHF video on stroke
- Heart issues such as heart valve disease or irregular heart rhythm such as atrial fibrillation
- Systemic diseases such as hypertension, cholesterol or diabetes.
- Brain issues such as brain aneurysm or arteriovenous malformation
- Unhealthy lifestyle such as smoking, obesity or lack of exercise
- Measure your blood glucose and cholesterol regularly (recommended 3 monthly)
- Measure and keep good control of your blood pressure
- Change to a more healthy lifestyle and start to exercise regularly
- Learn to eat a more healthy diet
- Ask your doctor if you need to take anti-coagulation medication (known as blood thinning drugs) if you are at risk of developing a stroke
Download Teleme’s mobile app and chat with a specialist right now
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.
If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention from your doctor or other professional healthcare providers. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?