A post-viral cough is defined as cough that lingers around after a person has recovered from a viral infection such as Covid-19 or viral flu. Although the cough usually disappears after a few days, sometimes, it may persist for another 3-8 weeks.
This cough is caused by an increase in sensitivity of cough receptors associated with the inflammation in the linings of the airways caused by the infection. Besides viral flu, other conditions can also cause post-viral cough and they include;
Click to view Covid19athome video on Types of Cough
Post-viral cough can be either dry or wet (also known as productive cough).
- Dry cough occurs when there is little or no mucus in the throat. There is a ticklish sensation causing you to cough
- Wet cough occurs when there is mucus or phlegm with each cough
Here are some tips to help soothe your symptoms
- Stay hydrated and take sips of water (preferable warm) regularly
- Take soft foods or soups and try to avoid dry or fried foods like toast or biscuits
- Gargling with salt water or steam inhalation can help with mucus accumulation
- Sleep slightly elevated or on your side to reduce post nasal drip at night
Click to view Editorji video on Simple ways to manage Dry and Wet cough
Over-the-counter (OTC) medications can also help relieve the cough and they include
1. OTC Cough suppressants containing Dextromethorphan (Tussidex or Sedilix)
2. OTC Antihistamines (Benadryl)
3. OTC Decongestants (Sudafed)
4. Prescription Inhaled Ipratropium to open up your airways to prevent mucous accumulation
5. Prescription Inhaled Corticosteroids to reduce inflammation
If you are not sure why you are coughing, its still best to talk to your Doctor or Pharmacist
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?