Chalazion and Stye
A chalazion is the result of the blockage of the Meibomian oil gland on the eyelid while a stye is caused by the blockage of an infected eyelash follicle gland. They both result in a swelling on either the upper or lower eyelid. They are common is children and teenagers as well as appearing in adults in later life.
- Lump on the eyelid which can be painful to touch
- Feeling of pressure on the eye
Click AllAboutVision video on What is a Stye
Although most resolve without any treatment, conservative treatment using warm compress can help make it go away faster. Most resolve after 7-10 days. For some that are too large or which do not resolve after 2 weeks, surgery using incision & curettage is recommended. Oral antibiotics may be necessary if the surrounding eyelid is infected (known as pre-septal cellulitis). Even after the surgery, you are still advised to do the warm compress to prevent recurrences
- Apply warm face towel over the lump and massage gently for 5 minutes. This helps to open up the blocked gland and allows the oil (or pus if the lump is infected) to flow out
- Apply antibiotic eye ointment after the massage so that it can enter the gland through the open pore to treat or prevent infection
- Repeat 2-3 times a day for 10-14 days (your eye doctor will advise your on the schedule)
- Do NOT wear contact lenses or eye make up during this treatment period
Download Teleme’s mobile app and chat with a specialist right now
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.
If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention from your doctor or other professional healthcare providers. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?