Updated on October 20, 2020
How to Prevent Back Injury
Our back provides support for the head and trunk of the body as well as providing strength in the trunk of the body to allow movement of our upper and lower limbs. As such it extremely important for us to look after our back and spine.
A. Regular Aerobic Exercise. Low-impact exercises such as swimming or brisk walking can build your back muscles without hurting your back
B. Stretching Exercise. Exercises to improve your core muscles and increase joint flexibility can reduce your back stiffness
C. Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight increases the strain on your back muscles and spine. Try to lose weight and aim to get to a healthy BMI
Click to view MHCHealthInside video on Care for your Back
Prevention from Injury
As we get older, our spine is not able to withstand heavy strains or sudden movements. As such, we need to be smart about staying away from potential injury.
- Stand Smart. Always maintain a good upright posture and avoid slouching
- Lift Smart. Avoid lifting heavy things. If you have to lift a heavy object, bend your knees and keep your back straight when lifting it. If possible, get someone to help you.
- Sit Smart. Sit upright (preferable with an ergonomic chair with back support) to ensure your spine maintains it normal curvature. Keep your knees and hips level. It is also useful to have your feet on a small foot support
- Walk Smart. Wear comfortable shoes with good arch support. Avoid high heel shoes.
- Sleep Smart. Invest in a firm mattress which is firm and does not sag
See a chiropractor, physiotherapist or orthopaedic doctor
to assess your back and get the correct treatment
Download Teleme’s mobile app and chat with a specialist right now
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.
If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention from your doctor or other professional healthcare providers. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?