Infertility Treatment Options for Males
Around 8% of males are infertile and can be diagnosed by having an examination by a doctor (to look for any abnormalities such as a hernia or varicocele) as well as having a sperm sample analysis.
1. Reduced sperm quality
According to WHO, normal sperm is defined as
- sperm concentration > 15 million sperm per ml of semen
- sperm motility > 40%
- sperm normal morphology > 4%
- sperm alive (vitality) > 58%
You can improve your sperm quality by healthy lifestyle changes (such as stop smoking, reduce alcohol intake, reduce weight to a good BMI, avoid anabolic steroids and remove stress). Click https://blog.teleme.co/2018/07/10/how-much-should-we-exercise-daily/
There are some suggestions that a diet rich in antioxidants (such as vitamin C, Vitamin E, L-Carnitine, Co-enzyme Q, Zinc and Selenium) improves sperm quality especially motility. Speak to your doctor or dietician to get some advice.
Click to view Philip Werthman video on Male Infertility Azoospermia
2. Azospermia (no sperm)
Absence of sperm, could be due to obstruction in the vas deferans or lack of sperm production in the testicle. Obstruction can be caused by previous infection or injury or previous vasectomy operation. Your fertility doctor may refer you to a urologist to discuss the following options
- For those with previous vasectomy operation, a vasectomy reversal surgery can be performed
- PESA (Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration) is a procedure whereby sperm is directly aspirated from the epididymis (where sperm is stored in the testicle) using a fine needle
- TESE (Testicular Sperm Extraction), TESA (Testicular Sperm Aspiration) or MESA (Microscopic Epididymal Sperm Aspiration) can be done through a small incision in the testicle
Disclaimer. TELEME blog posts contains general information about health conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?